The Best Of: Natural Skincare

by - February 26, 2018





 Skincare is not something I really ever spent time over when I was a teenager. My mum used E45 moisturiser and so I followed suit. When I left home for university though and had spare time to wander the aisles of Boots, I really began to test different things out. I started off with a need to cure my immensely dry skin, but once I'd got that sorted, I needed something to stop acne taking over. I found it very difficult to get the right balance and routine, but eventually I got myself there.

I stayed in this routine until a year ago when some ill-health made me question not only the things I was feeding my body, but also everything that came into contact with it. I saved up some money and bought myself a set from Burt's Bees and from this day I haven't looked back!

Natural skincare is now something I feel quite passionately about. I still use some products that aren't completely natural and I'm ok with that, but I now think before I buy a cheap hand cream or lip balm, because who knows what half of those ingredients are?

Since natural skincare is a little thin on the ground still, and I struggled to find any reviews to help me pick what to go for, I thought I would let you know my favourites from the past year.



Lip Balm: Burt's Bees and Lanolips
I am a self-confessed lip balm addict and I always need to have one on me! I also have to have a super moisturising one that really feels like it's doing the job. The best by a mile in my opinion is the ultra conditioning Burt's Bees. It's unscented, ultra-moisturising and a reasonable price. Overnight I like to use Lanolips, which is super thick and really lasts and leaves your lips feeling silky soft in the morning! This is slightly more pricey at £12, but I've been using this since October and am not even half way through yet.

Cleanser: Burt's Bees Deep Cleansing Cream
This cleanser came in my original Burt's Bees sample purchase and I'm very glad it did. It's a cream consistency which makes it lovely and smooth to put on. It lathers up very well on the face, removes any dirt when you wash it off, and it gives your face a refreshing tingle. It's also made with chamomile which is lovely for toning down redness and giving you a fresh face. 

Hand Cream: Kind Natured
Hand cream is another thing I can't live without, and I can't stand a sticky consistency! Kind Natured is some of the best I've found. It comes in gorgeous scents like Coconut and Monoi, it's moisturising, it sinks in nice and quickly and it's again a great price.

Serum: Boots Botanics
I picked this up as it was being discontinued and was about £1. Admittedly, I didn't need a serum - I'd never used one before. I find that in the winter months this does me no favours, but in the summer it works wonders for naturally glowy and dewy skin!



Shampoo & Conditioner: The Body Shop Banana
I wasn't sure whether to make this switch with hair care since my hair is hard to tame and when I find something that works, I hold onto it like my life depends on it! I decided to branch out though and went for The Body Shop banana range, which by the way, smells incredible! Not only that, it leaves my hair feeling lovely and soft, more hydrated than other brands and I really would recommend it.

Make Up Remover: Yes to Tomatoes Purifying Micellar Cleansing Water
This is a new product for me which I decided to try after finishing another bottle of Garnier Micellar water. The bottle is great and easy to use with the pump at the top, plus it's fun to shake up and mix the charcoal in. It takes make up off like a dream! Could not recommend this product more. Although it's a little hard to tell what's make up and what's charcoal when you're taking off mascara. 

Toner: Pixi Glow Tonic
This is my most recent purchase and one that I can already say will take a permanent position in my skincare routine. It's an amazing way to gently exfoliate your skin and leave it feeling fresh, soft and glowy.



Moisturiser: Sukin and The Body Shop Vitamin C
Moisturiser is something I struggled to find, with brands either being too pricey, or breaking me out. I've finally found a couple that suit my skin-type and are now my holy grails. The Sukin moisturiser is thick, creamy and great for dry skin, while the Body Shop one is lighter, more of a gel texture and something I find useful in the summer months, especially with the zingy vitamin C/orange scent. 

Face Mask: The Body Shop Skin Clearing Clay mask
I tend to only use a face mask when my skin gets dry, but I've tried a couple from the Body Shop and neither have disappointed. I have been using the tea tree range for years and find this face mask to be amazing for moisturising your skin, but also for refreshing it with that tingly fresh feeling that tea tree gives. The acai one is perfect for exfoliating and is so fun to put on!

Do you have any natural skincare recommendations? 


You May Also Like

0 comments