Books you need to read

by - February 09, 2018



One of my goals for 2018 is to read at least one book per month. Admittedly this was also a goal for 2017, and not one that I succeeded at. This year however, I have more time for reading. Since I've begun working full time, I find reading a great way to unwind before bed. When I was at uni last year though, I spent so much time reading during the day that the last thing I wanted to do was to do at the end of the day was read!

I also find it difficult to find books that I truly enjoy and look forward to diving into each night. There are several over the years that I have fallen in love with, and millions more that I can barely get started on! 



Today I want to share some of my favourite books to hopefully inspire some of you. These aren't really fiction books per se, but they are books that have helped me through some tough times. Anxiety, body dysmorphia, low confidence, insomnia, a debilitating phobia and depression are all battles I've dealt with in recent years, some of which I'm still dealing with today. These books are some of the most useful I have come across in dealing with these issues, and ones that I would highly recommend to anyone, whether suffering or not!




Feel the fear and do it anyway - Susan Jeffers
This book was literally life changing for me. It helped me in ways I never new a book could! This book taught me ways to deal with my anxieties and low levels of confidence, and honestly contains techniques that will stick with me for life. I couldn't recommend this book enough. Whether you feel stuck in a rut with your job, scared to leave your broken relationship, or generally struggling on a daily basis, this book can help you. 



Calm: Calm the mind, change the world - Michael Acton Smith
I came across this book nearly 3 years ago now when I began using the Calm app for meditation. This book is a lovely mix of informative reading, beautiful images and work pages. It will take you on a journey to a calmer lifestyle, teaching you ways in which to relax, while also offering opportunities to be creative, such as designing your own perfect island. This book is one that I always return to, as I find the images and the quotes calming in themselves and would thoroughly recommend this to anyone.



The Anxiety Solution: A quieter mind, a calmer you - Chloe Brotheridge
This book was bought for me by my fiance after 6 months of suffering with anxiety and being awake until 3am every night. We read this together and it was a great way for him to learn my thoughts and feelings, while also teaching me to understand why I felt that way. This book will benefit those suffering with anxiety the most, and will help you to understand your feelings as well as ways to combat them. Chloe, who suffered with anxiety herself, writes the book in a sympathetic way, and it's always great to hear from someone who has been through what you are experiencing and come out the other side.



The Book of Joy - Dalai Lama, Desmond Tutu and Douglas Abrams
This book is a little different to what I normally opt for, but one that I am very glad I took a chance on. It follows a meeting between the Dalai Lama and Desmond Tutu where they discuss what it truly means to be happy. This book is light and will leave you feeling refreshed. It reminds us that we are all the same, no matter what colour, race, age, profession or status level. We all experience the same emotions, and in reality, we all seek true happiness. This book teaches you how to be grateful and how to appreciate life, which I think we could all practice a little more. 



The 4 Pillar Plan - Dr Rangan Chatterjee
I read this book in an afternoon! It was brilliant. I've been sucked into the world of health, fitness and wellbeing for several years now and have always been sceptical of books published by those with no qualifications. Of course, we can all tell the story of what benefits us and our own bodies, but I also think it's important to listen to a professional's advice. This books takes you through what Dr Chatterjee considers to be the four most important aspects of health - Food, Movement, Relaxation and Sleep. He covers everything and offers brilliant ways to work towards a healthier lifestyle, even for those like me who think they can't possible squeeze any more vegetables, meditation, exercise of sleep in!

Do any of you have any recommendations? 




You May Also Like

0 comments